Just getting in from a nice little winter storm in Omaha, NE and decided I wanted to go to the Dominican Republic and taste some cocoa tonight. How about learning to harvest Fair Trade Cocoa in a lush tropical setting for a good cause? Global Exchange is an international human rights organization dedicated to promoting social, economic and environmental justice around the world. They produce reality tours which to me seems like a combined version of Survivor and Amazing Race realtiy shows. Here are some of the programs highlights:
- Visit a Fair Trade Certified Cooperative, a model which guarantees farmers and workers a fair price for their products—as well as direct access, credit, and support for sustainable agriculture.
- Live and work with family members of CONOCADO, a fair trade cocoa cooperative in the Dominican Republic.
- Visit local nature sites and observe wildlife (waterfalls, forests, birds, orchids, etc.).
- Learn to cook typical foods.
- Visit various parts of the community, such as the barrios of hacienda laborers.
- Learn what life is like for non-fair trade cocoa farmers and laborers.
- Learn about the history of cooperatives and how they are organized.
- Meet with students, environmentalists and human rights activists working toward social justice.
- Learn about current relations between the Dominican Republic and Haiti.
$1600.00 Dates of tour April 26, 2016 to May 6, 2013